Re: SOLVED ogg to mp3 audio (SOLVED also via 8233a question)

We'll,
Thanks to everyone for the support on this issue.  I did
install a lame encoder, and wrote a simple script to
convert ogg files to mp3 through oggvorbis and lame
(although one mentioned that lame might have this ability
built in).  My script does carry over the id tags.  If
anyone is interested , just send me a reply.  Again, its a
_very_ simple script (and mostly a hack).

About my previous via chipset question.  Apparently this
chipset has the same DAE problems as other previous via
chipset.  The controller can happily work with some CDROMs
while not with other good drives. I would suggest to anyone
that want to do a lot of DAE with cdparanoia not to buy a
motherboard with this chipset, until via can work this out
(and hopefully provide a little more support to the kernel
guys).  Anyhow, the workaround is to connect any CDROM
drive you want to do audio extraction with on the Promise
controller.  There are some obvious drawbacks to this.  One
of which is DMA will not be available for this drive unless
you have a CDROM drive that can do ATA 100/133.  Note,
however, that linux doesn't use dma when doing DAE.

Well, I suppose I ought to not make this too long.
Thanks,
jackp