Re: AARRGGHH: Samba + WinXP Home

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 04:08 am, David Purton wrote:
;
; Hi,
;
; We Just bought a new server at work and its running linux + samba.
;
; Most seems to run fine, except I can't make the WinXP boxes remember
; their passwords for reconnecting to shares at login.
;
; What do I need to set in either smb.conf or on the XP boxes to get the
; to reconnenct automatically at login?
;
; A temporary work around is putting a batch file in the startup folder
; with a few net use statements in them, but this is hardly
; satisfactory.
;
;
; Although I didn't spend long trying, I got the same behaviour under
; Win2K professional.
;
; I'm assuming this is a problem with my smb.conf, since surely even MS
; wouldn't set things up like this on purpose?
;
; I'm using encrypted passwords, and they seem to work fine and user
; level security.
;
; From samba logs, the WinXP boxes send the correct username when they
; try to reconnect, but the logs report a bad username/password pair.
;
; I've googled lots, found many similar looking problems, but haven't
; had any luck in trying to get things working :(
;
; Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.
;
; dc
;

You gave to have  encrypt passwords = true  and I think security = SHARE in
you smb.conf to connect to winxp.

Cynthia