Re: How to prevent x startup

David Turetsky wrote:

I finally have a partially working x configuration, but clearly my keyboard is not being

properly recognized, and my mouse is not being recognized at all. I would like to stay

at the command line prompt to fix the config files, but my system automatically

starts up gdm

How do I abort the startup of x?

At the LILO: prompt, enter "linux single".

If by "keyboard is not being properly recognized" you mean the keys produce the wrong characters, experiment at this point before pressing <ENTER> to figure out which keys you need to press to type in your root password; you'll be asked for it later.

This'll drop you into a single-user text mode, at which time you can prevent gdm from starting on future boot-ups (see recent mailing list archives) and/or fix your keyboard/mouse issues.

Kent