Re: 2 apt-get questions

Hi,

* Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> [030206 15:22]:
> I know this should be very simple and easy to find, but I'm having trouble
> answering these two questions.  I've been through the apt-get man page a few
> times.  Since I'm trying to do something on a "one-time-only" basis, this
> shouldn't be a config problem -- I'd expect it to be available as a command
> line switch.
>
> 1) How can I specify the source site to use to retreive a specific package?
> (In this case, I added download.kde.org with all the info to point to the KDE
> 3.1 packages, but apt doesn't seem to see anything above KDE 2.2, even after
> apt-get update).

You can see if the new entry is really being recognised from the
output of apt-get update. Is it listed? If it is, then it sounds like
this problem could be related to the version you are tracking. For
example you might be running unstable, but the line you've added to your
sources.list is for stable (but don't quote me on it).

What happens if you do an "apt-cache search kde"?

Please post the relevant sections of your /etc/apt/sources.list, or
read the apt howto.

apt-get install apt-hotow-en

Then the docs will be placed under /usr/share/doc/Debain/ in all your
favourite formats.

> 2) How can I install a .deb file that I've downloaded with my browser?  (I
> downloaded a game that was a .deb file into my home directory.  I searched
> the /var dir tree and found .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives, so I
> copied the file in there, but "apt-cache search" doesn't show any awareness
> of the downloaded package.)

Seems there have been plenty of answers regarding this already.

Cheers,

Nick.