Re: 2 apt-get questions

Hal Vaughan wrote:

I know this should be very simple and easy to find, but I'm having trouble answering these two questions. I've been through the apt-get man page a few times. Since I'm trying to do something on a "one-time-only" basis, this shouldn't be a config problem -- I'd expect it to be available as a command line switch.

1) How can I specify the source site to use to retreive a specific package? (In this case, I added download.kde.org with all the info to point to the KDE 3.1 packages, but apt doesn't seem to see anything above KDE 2.2, even after apt-get update).
If you've added the lines to /etc/apt/sources.list, apt should see the archives there. 'Fraid I can't help on this one; perhaps someone else will be able to.

2) How can I install a .deb file that I've downloaded with my browser? (I downloaded a game that was a .deb file into my home directory. I searched the /var dir tree and found .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives, so I copied the file in there, but "apt-cache search" doesn't show any awareness of the downloaded package.)

"dpkg -i foo.deb" in the directory in which foo.deb is located.

And, if the answer or info I'm looking for isn't in the apt-get man page, where would it be?

For the second question, "man dpkg", but you'd first need to know that apt is a front-end for dpkg, which is the real installation engine. I thought maybe "apropos deb | grep install" would turn up something, but it didn't, but "apropos deb" did turn up a big list, in which dpkg is listed as "a medium-level package manager for Debian" ("man apropos" for more info on apropos). Of course, that's not very plain either. So maybe search the Debian archives or do a google.