Re: Install prob - motherboard?

Darren wrote:

I have just got a fairly new computer and would like to install debian on it. When I tried Debian 3.0 (it came on a DVD) it works ok until the point where you select the media to install from (network, fd0 and suchlike) there is no cdrom option. When I attempt to mount the cdrom drive from the command line (ctrl alt F2) I find that Debian is not recognizing ide1 at all. (Mandrake 9.0 and Knoppix will install ok, but they do not work properly. I think the chipset needs the 2.4.21 kernel. Redhat 8.0 won't install)

Are you sure it's on IDE1? What mount command are you using (mount /dev/hdc1 /cdrom)? Does dmesg have any messages about your CDROM drive? What about BIOS settings (even though they're generally ignored by Linux, I'd still check it out)?

Kent