dxr3 and xine dvd playback

I'm on debian testing, and want to view DVDs via my dxr3 card. I tried
installing the em8300 package, but it wasn't set up correctly, so I
ended up grabbing the source and installing it by hand. Since I wasn't
able to get the deb of em8300, I also ended up compiling and installing
xine-lib and xine-ui by hand.

The dxr3 card works fine -- vga loopback sends video fine, and I can get
my vga overlay up and running (I can send output from lsmod and
em8300setup, if necessary, to show that installation works). When I try
and run xine, however, wierd stuff happens.

Half the time, it seems like xine is unable to find the spu-en/decoder
on the card, and thus won't play anything and locks up. The other half,
it will play the first chapter -- usually just the copyright notice --
and stops and locks up. I don't ever get to the menus, and trying to
play a later chapter via the command-line always comes up as an
unsupported option.

Anybody have this working with debian? what did you have to do?

Thanks!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net