Re: gnome kde conflict

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:22:37AM -0500, Bart J. Himel wrote:
> I know this has probably already been answered, but I can't find it
> anywhere.  I installed Debian Unstable on my computer a couple of weeks ago,
> but instead of installing Gnome2 it installed 1.4.  When I try to use apt to
> install nautilus 2, it tells me it needs to remove my entire KDE 2
> installation!  Why is this?  and is anyone working on it?  As far as I know,
> the only dependencies they have in common are libc and X.

They have libfam in common too, and that's having problems with the g++
3.2 transition: GNOME 2 uses the g++ 3.2 version (libfam0c102) while KDE
2 uses (and needs to continue using) the g++ 2.95 version (libfam0), and
the two need to conflict. I'm not sure what's being done about this: see
bug #177970.

KDE 3.1 has just been uploaded to unstable, though, and that uses g++
3.2, so it may not be a problem in the long term.