Re: Firewall testing

Check www.grc.com.  Follow for the ShieldsUp! links.  There are two
tests here that I can never remember the difference between.  It is
Windows oriented and is a marketing ploy to get you to buy their
firewall products.
  When you think you are ready for the bigger time, try
www.vulnerabilities.org.  It runs a Nessus scan.  Nessus scans for
vulnerabilities, not just open ports.  It is built on top of nmap.
Note: it will give some false alarms.  It warned me about a Sendmail
vulnerability, but I use Postfix.  This site has a big pipe and can
really hammer your system.  I had an effective DoS because I received
so many e-mails from my alarms that the load skyrocketed and the
e-mail wilted under the load.
  If you pass both of these, you are probably safe from the random
scans of the script kiddies.  For a high visibility website, you may
need some real, live expertise.

HTH,
  Jeffrey