Re: AARRGGHH: Samba + WinXP Home

Dear David,

David Purton sagte:
> We Just bought a new server at work and its running linux + samba.
> Most seems to run fine, except I can't make the WinXP boxes remember
> their passwords for reconnecting to shares at login.
I assume you are able to connect to samba "by hand" (by explorer and
mouse). Maybe i could ask you if you know that "smbpasswd" on linux
console is necessary to change samba-passwords?

Are you asked for username/password when making the connect by hand? Is
your samba login and password the same as your locals at winxp? If not, it
would be much better make them the same.

If the problem is only the automatic login at startup i would expect, that
your Workstation won't find the server at once. In that case you should
make your samba a wins server. Have also a look at your dns. Maybe you
should create file "lmhosts" out of "lmhosts.sam" (editing name and adress
of your server into it) and set "use lmhosts" inside the properties of yor
tcp/ip-stack.

Do you get your ip-address by dhcp? then you could give your wxx helpful
tips by your dhcp.conf :
---
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
  {
  authoritative;
  range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.99;
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
  option routers 192.168.0.1;
# this to lines :
  option netbios-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
  option netbios-node-type 8;
# !!
  option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
  }
---

Maybe, my smb.conf is more worthy for you. It runs with winxp-home and w95
very clean.
----
# Global parameters
[global]
        interfaces = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        debug level = 1
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        read prediction = yes
        dns proxy = No
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        workgroup = Essignetz
        syslog = 0
        getwd cache = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        wins support = true
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700

[root]
        comment = root
        path = /
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No
----

> If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
> 					Psalm 130:3
Do you believe in Christ? Then you will know the answer ;-)

--
MfG / Yours

Wilfried Essig