Re: Add software RAID to woody box with ext3 fs

hi ya

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Steve Wollkind wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:03:16PM +0100, Alex Polite wrote:
> >
> > A hard drive on a firewall I maintain crashed. I just built a new
> > firewall using the bf2.4 woody installation floppies. I selected ext3
> > as my file system.
> >
> > I would like to add RAID-1 to this setup. How do I add RAID-1 without
> > rebuilding the file system?

i claim you cant ???

a.  step one is to make sure your disk partitions are type "FD"
	( raid autodetect -- NOT type 82 (default linux)

	- if its NOT autodect, when you remove /dev/hda...  you might
	have a hard time booting from /dev/hdc and vice versa

	- remove the drive  at the cables ( simulate a disk crash )

b. assuming that bootup is NOT an issue.. than the rest of the
   "mirroring" is good .. jsut create the necessary tables/files
   and follow the various how-to's on converting an existing
   system into a raid1 (mirror) system

c. think about why you want raid1 ...
	- if data is written ... it is written to 2 disks .. good ...
	and when you read it back.. you can read it back 2x faster

	- if data is erased .... it is erased on both disks ... bad ..
	( depending on point of view )

collection of raid howto

	http://www.1U-Raid5.net/HowTo/SW-Raid-HOWTO.txt

-- and i want to build 8-12 laptop drives ( 80GB each)
   in a raid5 config :-)

c ya
alvin