Re: Add software RAID to woody box with ext3 fs

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:03:16PM +0100, Alex Polite wrote:

> A hard drive on a firewall I maintain crashed. I just built a new
> firewall using the bf2.4 woody installation floppies. I selected ext3
> as my file system.
>
> I would like to add RAID-1 to this setup. How do I add RAID-1 without
> rebuilding the file system?

I'm about to do something similar on an ext2 system (I don't know how
much it varies from one to the other) and I have this link

http://www.winamp.com/components/detail.jhtml?componentId=123836

That I found googling "linux software raid howto."  There are several
versions of this howto out there, but this particular one has a
section that is geared towards RAIDing a non-raid system.  If you look
around you'll find some other methods suggested as well.

I haven't tried this out yet (I'm setting up a box to "practice" on
before I do it on my actual router/webserver/mailserver to be safe).
Let me know how it goes!

Hope that helps
Steve

--
Steve Wollkind        				810 C San Pedro
steve@njord.org					College Station, TX 77845