Re: what is /dev/??? for the parellel port ? escputil

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 9:41 pm, Donald Spoon wrote:
> Dave Selby wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 February 2003 8:47 pm, you wrote:
> >>Thus spake Dave Selby (dave_arahan@yahoo.co.uk):

> >>The linux equivalent of LPT0 is /dev/lp0
> >
> > Many thanks, looked real promising with great hope I re-tryed it but lp0
> > gives ...
> >
> > test@debian:~$ su
> > Password:
> > debian:/home/test# escputil -r /dev/lp0 -i
> > Escputil version 4.2.0, Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Robert Krawitz
> > Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil
> > -l' This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> > under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.
> >
> > Cannot read from /dev/lp0: Invalid argument
> > debian:/home/test#
> >
> > So looks like I have another problem apart from using the wrong /dev/
> > !!!! Dave
>
> Make sure all your hardware ports and connectors are rated for
> IEEE-1284.  This spec is needed for 2-way communications between the
> printer and computer via the parallel port.  The most common mistake is
> not using an IEEE-1284 rated connecting cable.  The "standard" cable
> only provides 1-way comm from the computer to the printer in general
> terms.  This shouldn't be a problem with recent computer ports or
> recently manufactured printers.  You can easily still purchase a
> "standard" cable.
>
> Cheers,
> -Don Spoon-

Hi mate, Under windows 98, yuk !!, the pucker epson driver gets the info on
ink levels etc AOK, so I guess the cable is AOK

The computer is 3 yr old, ie obsolete !!, the printer 1 year old.

ls -al /dev/lp0 gives

debian:/home/test# ls -al /dev/lp0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/lp0
debian:/home/test#

So read/write access is OK for root, even though the reported error is cannot
read from /dev/lp0

My pet theory is the epson, being a new design, uses different from what
escputil is looking for

Dave