Re: Disk Corruption

----- Original Message -----
From: <ajlewis2...>

> I'm thinking there is another way to make sure that you are using the LILO
> that is getting written.  Try writing it to a floppy.  Edit /etc/lilo.conf
and
> put
>
> boot=/dev/fd0
>
> in place of boot=/dev/hda

Actually, I have been using /dev/hdb1 without problems until recently.

> Then put a floppy in and run /sbin/lilo.  Leave the floppy in and boot.
If
> that works, then you can figure out what to set for booting.

That worked...sortof.  Lilo started Linux up immediatly without an option
screen.  I recieved a brief text line, "Lilo 22.2: starting Linux"
and the local kernel booted.

> Does your lilo.conf say that boot=/dev/hda1?  Maybe that is the problem.
> know you have xp and I'm not sure if writing it to /dev/hda instead of
> /dev/hda1 would be a good idea.  Well, try the floppy thing and see what
> happens with that.
>
> How are you booting XP, btw?

I was booting XP with LILO as an "other" like this:
other="Windows XP Home"
    boot=/dev/hda1

The entry remains in lilo.conf, but it did not seem to have any effect when
booting from a floppy.

-Jonathan