Re: Debian + RAID hardware

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 12:16:06AM +0100, Willi Dyck wrote:
> Ha, tomorrow I am going to play with a nice Compaq Proliant 1850 :-)
> with two QFE nics, a Compaq SMART Array controller with two Ultra Wide
> SCSI 18GiG attached to it (hot-swapable, I think?!?). It has currently
> only one CPU but is upgradable up to 2 CPU's. I think it supports up to
> 2GiG SDRAM. It is 3U high. I will report to this list if I had success
> or not. So far I have managed to boot Debian 3.0 stable from a self made
> bootable CD, which runs completly in RAM. The Compaq SMART Array
> controller is supported by the Linux kernel (2.4.X), but I have not yet
> actually build a RAID.

Hi again,

I have to say that Debian once again proofed to be f*#?ing cool, stable
and easy to setup. It took me 30 mins to install Debian woody on that
Compaq Proliant 1850R. First I did the Compaq System Management setup to
setup the RAID controller to do RAID0. Then installed Debian with Compaq
SMART2 driver support, et voila, it worked like a charme. The disk
device is /dev/ida/c0d0 now.

Just for fun, I tried to install SuSE 8.0 on that machine and it crashed
badly at the hardware autodetection phase. Then I did the manual
installation and after the first reboot, it crashed again. An 'exit 0'
at the beginning of the hardware detection init.d script, didn't help,
actually it made things more terrible (I haven't seen sendmail crashing
on startup in such a funny way before :)).

Cheers
Willi

--
the three great virtues of a programmer:
laziness, impatience and hubris.