Re: What's the "debian" way to bind multiple IP addresses to a single NIC???`

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 02:25:59PM +0100, Mark Janssen wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 13:59, Jeff Hahn wrote:
> > I've scanned the fine manual and googled, but I'm unable to determine the
> > "official" way to bind multiple IP addresses to a single NIC.
> > I realize I can just ifconfig the interface, but I guess I'm looking for the
> > documentation/format of the interfaces file in /etc/networks.
>
> Just define a new interface in /etc/network interfaces:
>
> iface tr0:1 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.1
>         netmask 255.255.255.0

This is the 2.2 way of doing things. This has been deprecated with the
2.4 kernels (as IP aliasing was -- to my understanding -- essentially a
dirty hack) for iproute2.

I realize that Debian still defaults to 2.2.x for installation, but I
would be also be curious to know you're supposed to bind multiple IPs to
a single interface `the Debian way' without IP aliasing (with does still
work with 2.4).

I spent some time digging through docs when I first discovered iproute2
a year or so ago, but didn't really come up with anything. Ended up
writing a script do to it for me.

If anyone has any information on the Correct way to do this with 2.4,
I'd also appreciate a tap from the clue bat.
--
bda
Cyberpunk is dead.  Long live cyberpunk.