Re: libfam0c102 kills 182 KDE3 packages

Michael Wardle, on 2003-02-04, 11:19, you wrote:
> I notice that the libfam package name was recently changed (I think from
> libfam0 to libfam0cxxx).  I suspect that your KDE 3 packages depend on the
> old package name (libfam0) and the GNOME 2 packages depend on the new package
> name (libfam0c102).  I also suspect that the new package superseeds or
> obsoletes (or whatever the Debian package term is) the old one, so installing
> libfam0c102 is attempting to remove libfam0.

That is correct. We are currently in a transition to GCC 3.2 as default
compiler. As the C++ compiler introduces a new ABI in contrast to our
previous (2.95) compiler. That brings in the need to recompile all C++
libraries and applications depending on them. Because the new libraries
are incompatible with the old ones we have to change the packages'
names. Please see [0] for more information on this.

> If this is the case, you might like to see if there's a flag you can use to
> dpkg or apt-get to make it install them side-by-side (of course this is not
> an ideal solution).  You should probably confirm whether what I have stated
> is correct and then inform the maintainer of the KDE packages that the
> dependency name has changed.

One should wait until fresh KDE3 packages hit unstable. Unstable is not
stable btw. so that dependency breakage is not that unusual.

Hope that helps,
  Joerg

[0] http://people.debian.org/~rmurray/c++transition.html

--
Joerg "joergland" Wendland
GPG: 51CF8417 FP: 79C0 7671 AFC7 315E 657A  F318 57A3 7FBD 51CF 8417