Re: libfam0c102 kills 182 KDE3 packages

Victor Torrico wrote:

> Running KDE3 woody debian packages downloaded from kde site.  Works great.
>
> In order to run nautilus and yelp in gnome2 I need libgnomevfs2-0 and
> libgnomevfs2-common which depends on libfam0c102.
>
> When I execute "apt-get install libfam0c102 libgnomevfs2-0
> libgnomevfs2-common" these would all install OK however they would
> also remove all 182 kde3 packages.
>
> How can I keep kde3 installed and still run nautilus and yelp?  Wassup?

Right now, you can't.

This is part of the transition from gcc 2.95 to gcc 3.2 as the default
compiler, which requires libraries written in C++, and applications that
depend on them (including parts of Gnome and all of KDE), to be rebuilt
due to a C++ linkage incompability between gcc 2.95 and gcc 3.2.

Library packages with "c102" suffixed to their names are written in C++
and have been rebuilt with gcc 3.2. The equivalent gcc 2.95 packages
lack the -c102 suffix. You cannot have both the gcc 2.95 and the gcc 3.2
version of a library installed on the same machine at the same time
(well, unless one is in a chroot jail, but that's probably not what you
want).

Gnome 2.2 packages are being built to use the new libraries. That's why
they require the -c102 packages.

KDE 3.x is not yet part of Debian, and the KDE packages you're getting
from some other side (kde.org, I guess?) were compiled with gcc 2.95.
That's why they can't use the -c102 packages.

Consequently, right now, you can't install Gnome 2.2 and KDE 3.x on the
same machine unless you build one or the other yourself, so that both
use the same libraries.

On the bright side, KDE 3.1 should be getting into unstable soon, at
which point the problem will be solved.

Craig