Upgrading the kernel package from 2.4.18 to 2.4.20 on Woody

Earlier, I had problems installing Debian on my system because of the
Realtek 8139 ethernet device on my desktop's motherboard. I got round
that problem by building my own boot floppy with a newer kernel on
it. What I want to do is to install the system using this, and then,
before rebooting it, upgrade the kernel, so that I have a system that
can see the network. However, when I use 'dpkg -l' to list the packages,
the kernel is not listed as one of them. How exactly do I upgrade the
kernel on my system using a newer kernel .deb package file? I want to
install using the 2.4.18-bf2.4 floppies, and then upgrade to 2.4.20.

--
Anand Buddhdev
http://anand.org