Re: Disk Corruption (was: Disk formatting)

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> Something VERY BAD has happened.  When I attempted to format the disk, with
> mkfs.ext3, it reported that the partition table for that partition said 0
> size, and I should reboot the computer to re-read the partion table.  When I
> rebooted, instead of LILO, I saw an endless stream of "01 " repeating
> without end!  I can boot into BIOS, and probably an emergency disk, but that
> is all.
>
> HELP!
> -Jonathan

Had you rebooted after making the new partition and before running mkfs?

I would first try booting from the emergency boot floppy.  See if you can
access any of the partitions.  If you can, then you still have a partition
table there.  In that case, I would try running fsck on the / partition -
when it is NOT mounted.

If you cannot get mounted on anything and can't find a partition table with
'fdisk /dev/hdb' then you might want to try gpart or rescuept for finding
the partition info and then rewriting the table with fdisk.

www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/

www.doclib.org/Linux/system/misc/util-linux-2.9r/rescuept ( I think that is
right)

Unless, you happened to be lucky like me and had your table written down on
an index card...

Anita