ACPI & USB not working simultaneously

Dear Debianists,

This is a re-post, because nobody answered and I am really stuck... :(

Did anyone have any problems with ACPI and USB working simultaneously? I
am using 2.4.18-bf24 kernel under Woody 3.0r1. If ACPI is turned off,
USB works fine, but as soon as I turn ACPI on and APM off, USB stops
working (takeover failed message in /var/log/messages). I changed nothing
else in the kernel.

To furtherly demonstrate, I attach acpi.dmesg and noacpi.dmesg; these two
files are /var/log/dmesg after changing only ACPI support in the running
kernel: with ACPI in acpi.dmesg and without ACPI in noacpi.dmesg. One time
USB works (noacpi.dmesg) and the other time it doesn't (acpi.dmesg) ->
takeover fails. Any ideas? Must I upgrade the kernel?

Thanks,

Andrej