Re: Recursively export NFS file systems

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 02:13:05PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Aaron Isotton said:
> > I want to export the whole file system of "zarathustra" via NFS to
> > "osiris".  What I am currently doing is this:
> >
> > aisotton@zarathustra:~$ cat /etc/exports
> > # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
> > #               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
> > /       osiris(ro,sync)
> > aisotton@zarathustra:~$
> >
> > The problem is that when I mount / on osiris, it will not mount the
> > file systems which are mounted into / on zarathustra (for example
> > /usr, /var, /boot and so on).  Of course I can do something like this
> > on zarathustra:
> >
> > /       osiris(ro, sync)
> > /usr    osiris(ro, sync)
> > /var    osiris(ro, sync)
> > /boot   osiris(ro, sync)
> >
> > and then mount all of them by hand on osiris, but I'd like osiris not
> > to know about the file systems of the other machines.  What I want is
> > to specify all the file systems which should be mounted by osiris in
> > the individual /etc/exports, WITHOUT osiris knowing anything about
> > that.
> >
> > Can that be done?  How?
>
> Check out the 'hide' and 'nohide' options.  man exports for details.
> Known to not work in all situations, but it's a start.

Yes.  I had to list all but with nohide, it mounts all :-)
Make sure host name does not use * which kill nohide.
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract