Re: Building an IMAP server

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 05:32:38PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> >1.) performance:
>
> That's because all webmail clients are incredibly stupid. Because
> HTTP is stateless, they connect to the IMAP server every time you
> click on something. And every time the IMAP server has to open the
> mailbox and scan all messages in it.

Ugh, it seems you're right; I can see in the syslog that there's
always a login/logout sequence reported whenver I click. Maybe the
courier-imapd doesn't scan all files on each connect, who knows for
sure? But it could (partly) explain why the mozilla client is
considerably faster than the webmail clients; it seems to keep the
connection open.

> They should really use a persistant proxy or something in-between
> that keeps the connection open for the duration of the entire
> webmail session. AFAIK there's only one webmail thingy that actually
> does that, but I can't remember the name :(

On freshmeat or sourceforge I've seen an imap proxy that seems to do
exactly that. I wondered what it is intended for, but now its purpose
becomes clear. Maybe I should check it out.

GH