Pon works; KPPP doesn't

I suspect I need to feed the "noauth" option to KPPP, but it says this can only be done by root (whereas I could log in as root and verify this "noauth" issue to be the problem, that doesn't really solve the problem). How can I set this option, either globally for all users for all dial-up accounts, or how can I allow a user to set it on an account-by-account basis?

(I tried to read the KPPP docs, but they're in docbook format, and I'm having trouble finding a reader for them).

Thanks!

Kent