Re: hdparm -d1: Operation not permitted

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> I'm trying to turn on dma on my dvd drive so that when I play dvds the
> movie plays real smooth.  When I run 'hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd' I get this
> output:
>
> /dev/dvd:
>   setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>   HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>   using_dma    =  0 (off)
>
> I get the same output when I do 'hdparm -d1 /dev/hda':
>
> /dev/hda:
>   setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>   HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>   using_dma    =  0 (off)
>
> Yes, I am running this as root.  The permissions on the drives are set
> as: rw-rw----, root is the owner and disk is the group.  I don't think
> it's a problem with the permissions, being that I'm running it as root.
>   Google was of little help, steering me to think that the support for
> my ide controller might not have been built into the kernel.  I am
> running an newer motherboard: abit at7 max.  It uses the kt333 chipset.
>   From what I understand it is a fairly popular via chipset.  I am also
> running the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.  Anyone have any ideas why I would not
> be able to enable dma on any of my drives?  I know the drives can do it
> b/c dma works in mandrake.
>
> --Mark.
>

> --

DMA may not be in your kernel and you might need to compile it in.  If you
have not recompiled this kernel, then you would not have the .config file in
/usr/src/linux to look at.  I think there is one in /boot after the install.
It would have 'config' and the version number in the filename.  look at it
for DMA and see if it is there - IDEDMA.  There is also an option for it to
be AUTO which is not needed.  hdparm will do that for you.

Anita