Re: list delay

On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 01:00, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 10:57:09PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> > That's almost funny.  Around here, Canadian coins (quaters, dimes,
> > nickels, pennies) are treated as equal to US coins by people and
> > cashiers.  (vending machines won't take Canadian, though)  I can't
> > speak for the local banks since I almost never exchange coin with
> > them.
>
> I think it depends.  Portland's over 300 miles from the border, the
> smallest Canadian denomination most places will accept is a $5, and
> probably soon a $10 as soon as Canada phases out the $5 bill.
> Canadian coinage is considered Monopoly Money since the prices banks
> charge to deal with it is more than the value of the coin.  That being
> said, though, there's a currency exchange on every corner anyway, wich
> will handle small amounts of Canadian coin at a reasonable price.

Which is why many Canadian stores dealing with American currency advise
customers that they would be usually further ahead to use debit or
credit cards and hopefully take advantage of the card issuer's bulk
currency exchange rates. The Canadian electronic payment system
apparently interconnects with most of the major American ones.

How much farther can we extend these tangents? ;)

From the recent Red Green Show:

I remember when "boot-up" and "logon" were how you warmed your feet in
front of a fireplace.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org