Re: Desktop environment---what am I missing?

On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 15:17, Gary Turner wrote:
> I run X with icewm.  No KDE or Gnome.  What would be the advantage(s) of
> adding one of these facilities?
> --
> gt                                           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
> "Well, you order it from the 'Society of Hardware and Information
> Technology Helpers, Executive Administration Division' website -
> you're a member aren't you?"--BOFH

Ability to put more computer memory/swap space to regular use ;)

Actually, the benefit is the intention of common look, feel,
configuration and hopefully functionality, by having Gnome versions
and/or KDE versions of most common software, with comparable abilities
in those programs when necessary to rival or surpass what is found on
systems such as the Macintosh or Windows (although the BSoD is only
available as a screensaver.)

Part of this is the advantage of a good selection of applications in the
menus to cover the breadth of tasks you would like to perform, but the
trade off is a lot of code up front for features that contain more
functionality and overhead than you'd wish, and duplication of programs
you consider to be fine as they are. Add in on top of all of that that
each person has their own set of priorities and values when it comes to
what they find to be a nice desktop - me, I run Gnome with three panels
packed with applets monitoring everything going on inside my system,
outside my door, and around the world. You might just want to be able to
run enough that you get your various programs to display in windows on
your desktop when they require that in addition to shell interaction. It
is all a matter of taste.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org