Re: Gimp Print Problem

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 10:15:15AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Embarassed.  Part of the problem was a defective ink cartridge.
>
> 	lp /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps
>
> is now ok.  But termial problem persists.  lp printtest prints nothing
> and generates the error_log previously reported.  printtest is a one
> line of plain text in a file produced by vi.  I also tried copying dmesg to a
> file and trying to print that file with lp, again with no output.

If you ran "gs printtest", I think you will get a similar error
message. Cupsys seems to be passing the file to gs-esp without first
converting it to postscript. Your cups mimetypes may not be configured
correctly.

What does "file printtest" report?

Check /etc/cups/mime.convs; it should have section that reads:

# PostScript filters
#

application/pdf         application/postscript  33      pdftops
application/postscript  application/vnd.cups-postscript 66      pstops
application/vnd.hp-HPGL application/postscript  66      hpgltops
image/*                 application/vnd.cups-postscript 66      imagetops
application/x-cshell    application/postscript  33      texttops
application/x-perl      application/postscript  33      texttops
application/x-shell     application/postscript  33      texttops
text/plain              application/postscript  33      texttops
text/html               application/postscript  33      texttops

The "texttops" filter should be located: /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops

Also, Check /etc/cups/mime.types; in the section
"Text files...", you should have an entry:

text/plain                      txt printable(0,1024)

--
Jerome