cdrecord: What does "BURN-Free is OFF" mean?

I have two CD writers. One works and has been in use for two or three years. The other is much newer and seems to work, but the resulting CD is only readable on the computer on which it was burnt. (Both writers are on the same computer.)

I notice a slight difference in the messages from cdrecord when I write using these:
The newer, non-working writer messages contain an extra message
"BURN-Free is OFF"
What does this mean and does it have anything to do with the CDs being unuseable on any other computers?

The problem on other computers is that CD won't load. On some computers there is an error message to the effect that a table of contents could not be found/read.

What should I do to make this newer writer useful?

Thanks.
Paul