Re: Actiontec Problem Restated

Hugo Espuny wrote:
> Well, at least you're not alone. I have the _exact_ same problem with a
> brand new USB Wisecom wireless card prism2.5 based. As we don't get
> solution from the linux-wlan-ng mail list, i make cc of this messege to
> Joey, just in case he is able to point us in the right direction (my
> last shot).
>
> 1. The Actiontec Instructions (Probably Based on Redhat)
>
> a) Add to the Wireless Section
>
> card "Actontec Wireless PC Card 802.11b"
> manfid 0x1668, 0x0101
> bind "orinoco_cs"

That's a really sorta odd thing to be adding if you intend to use
linix-wlan-ng as the driver for this card. orinoco_cs is the in-kernel
pcmcia driver for orinoco cards. For a USB card and linux-wlan-ng, I'd
expect to see prism2_usb there. But, er, why would it be added here at
all, if the card is a USB, and not a PCMCIA card? Confused.

> Comment: I edited these lines into /etc/pcmcia/config. This seemed
> reasonable in
> view of the next instruction, particularly as config contains similar
> entries.
>
> b) vi /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and add the following at the bottom:
>
> *,*,*,00:20:E0:*)
> MODE="managed"
> ESSID="any"
> KEY="off"
> ;;
>
> Comment: I used my lan ESSID instead of any.
>
> c) vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> This should be a blank document. Add this to it
>
> DEVICE =eth1
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> TYPE=Ethernet
>
> Comment: There was no sysconfig directory in /etc. I created one but
> probably
> this is not the right instruction for Debian.

Right, this is red-hat specific.

> d) After that you should be able to put in the command:
> ifup eth1
>
> to bring up the card.
>
> Comment: ifup eth1 reports interface eth1 already configured but the
> card doesn't
> come up and ifconf -a does not report eth0 or eth1.

To get debian's ifup working, you'd need to edit /etc/network/interfaces
instead.

> 2. The linux-wlan-ng Instructions (There are several versions. I did the
> following)
>
> a) Ensure that the pcmcia-cd source tree is in a subdirectory of
> /usr/src/modules ....
> Note that ... /usr/src/pcmcia-cs.tar.gz when unpacked in the /usr/srd
> directory places
> the pcmcia-cs source tree in the correct location.
> Go to /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs
> Execute debian/rules binary-modules
>
> b) Untar linux-wlan-ng-0.1.15.tar.gz.
> Comment: I put the tarball in /usr/src and unpacked as instructed.
>
> Make sure you have a configured kenel and (optionally) pcmcia sources on
> your
> system. Note, if you are only building ... prism2_usb drivers you don't
> need the
> pcmcia source tree.
>
> To configure the linux-wlan-ng package, run 'make config'. Answer the
> questions.
>
> Comment: I said yes only to Build Prism2.5 USB (_usb) driver.
>
> Run 'make all'
>
> Run 'make install'
>
> c) FOR USB USERS:
> modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1
>
> Comment: This runs ok.

These instructions look much more reasonable...  :-)

> wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
>
> Comment: This produces the following:
>
> hfa384x_docmd: hfa384x_docmd:ctlx failure=REQ_TIMEOUT
> hfa384x_drvr_start: hfa384x_drvr_startcmd_initialize() failed, result = -5
> prism2sta_ifstate: hfa384x_drvr_start() failed, result=-5
> hfa384x_usbin_callback: hfa384_usbin_callback:Fatal, failed to resubmit
> rx_urb.
> error=-12
> message=lnxreq_ifstate
> ifstate=enable
> resultcode=implementation_failure

If you sent this error message to the linux-wlan-ng list and they cannot
help you, I cannot either.

--
see shy jo