Re: Quicky about acroread...

JOSEPH A NAGY JR wrote:

>On 01 Feb 2003 00:12:27 -0600
>  DvB <imasu@earthlink.net> wrote:
><snip>
>>If you decide to do this, You should probably make sure you install
>>it
>>in /usr/local which is, AFAIK, the designated place to put apps that
>>you
>>don't install with the package management system.
>
>I thought /usr/local/bin was the place you would put commands/apps
>that you'd want users to have global access to?

This will explain a bit.  For the whole thing, see
	http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
4.9 /usr/local : Local hierarchy

4.9.1 Purpose
The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when
installing software locally. It needs to be safe from being overwritten
when the system software is updated. It may be used for programs and
data that are shareable amongst a group of hosts, but not found in /usr.

Locally installed software must be placed within /usr/local rather than
/usr unless it is being installed to replace or upgrade software in
/usr.[footnote 23]

--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---