Re: RAM upgrade ignored or kernel panic arises on Thinkpad T22

Dear Virgil,
Running a ThinkPad 770 with 256 MB ram, Kernel 2.4.18.
This kernel recognizes the remainder of the RAM, but when I was running 2.2.20 I had to add:
append = "mem = 261568K"
to lilo.conf.
I don't even remember where I read this, but about 512K is claimed right off the top by something low-level; I was advised to use the exact amount of memory listed at the very beginning of the boot sequence, and no more. I was also advised to use the KB units, not MB. To me, the quantity above looks like more than 256 MB, but I guess it is in "kibibytes". Whatever. It worked.
Pietro

Virgil wrote:

Running Debian Woody Kernel 2.4.18 on an IBM Thinkpad T-22.
Upgraded RAM from 128M to 256M.
Windows XP recognizes new RAM, and apparently has no difficulties with
it.

Linux does NOT seem to recognize the added RAM.

free
total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 125876 121812 4064 0 4040 51304 -/+ buffers/cache: 66468 59408
grep '^Memory' /var/log/dmesg
Memory: 125596k/131072k available (1783k kernel code, 5008k reserved,
549k data, 280k init, 0k highmem)

Following instructions given in:
http://www.webmo.net/support/linux_memory.html

I added append="mem=256M"
to lilo.conf and ran and executed /sbin/lilo -v

A warm re-boot has no effect, but a cold reboot ends in kernel panic
"unable to handle kernell null pointer dereference at virtual address
00000003.

Could it be that I may have accidentally limit my kernel to 128M during
installation?

Deleting (via rescue disk) the added line eliminates the kernel panic,
but of course only 128M of memory are used. Bottom line, I cannot use
the upgraded memory with Linux.

Much "googling" has not produced a solution.

Thanks for your help.

__Virgil