Re: Upgrade 3.0beta->3.0r0->3.0r1 with buggy behaviour ?

Walther, Christoph said:

> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> apt: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7) but 2.1.3-20 is installed
> aptitude: Depends: libapt-pkg2.7 but is not installable

well I had this big long email about your problem but
phoenix crashed and it was lost. sigh.

that must be a mighty old version of woody "beta", I started
using testing back in maybe june of '01 and I think woody had
libc6 2.2 at that point.

anyways, I had a similar problem upgrading from 2.2 to 3.0
on one of my systems, bad ram caused the dist-upgrade to
segfault, the solution/workaround was to force install about
a half dozen packages that were in a broken state, that put
the system back into a consistant state where apt-get would
work once again. I think I also removed a bunch of non essential
packages that the system was complaining about just to get them
out of the way, I re-installed them later once the system
was back to 'normal'.

so I did dpkg -i --force-depends filename_of_libc6_2.2.deb
and a bunch of others, like perl I think and a few others,
it was the only way I knew of to get the system back to normal,
I posted on this when it happened back in july of '02 or
maybe august but don't remember seeing any replies.

it would be nice if dpkg/apt could recover more gracefully from
such problems(e.g. be able to 'remember' what it was doing last
or something), but it's still been far easier for me to correct
problems in debian(easier, and faster) then on some other systems.

nate