Re: [OT] Learning PERL

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:43:13AM -0600, DvB wrote:
> Not sure what could be easier than the Camel... he might want
> to take a programming course.
>
> As to online tutorials, you might want to try perl.com I find
> the "Documentation" section to be a very good quick reference
> guide, most of the time.

the LLAMA book (learning perl) is both a GOOD introduction to
the specifics of perl AND a VERY GOOD book on programming
practices in general. (the CAMEL book is a good highway map, but
a bit overpowering when you're sitting at the on-ramp for the
first time.)

plus, there's enough sparkle and wink in there to make the llama
just plain fun reading. (nearly as much fun as asimov's "murder
at the a.b.a." with all those footnotes... and more tangibly
productive.) would that all nonfiction texts were as interesting.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #15 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Is there a good place to learn snarky PERL TECHNIQUES? One of
my favorites is http://webtechniques.com, where Randall Schwartz
contributes a monthly sample, explaining line-by-line what his
code does, and why. (Look under "Programming with Perl" in the
archives.)