Re: System dies after logging out of an X session

On Fre, 2003-01-31 at 02:01, Marcin Chady wrote:

> I had to install the drm-trunk-module-src_2002.12.05-5_all.deb and
> xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk_2002.12.05-4_i386.deb from
> http://dri.sourceforge.net for my Radeon 9000, which seems to have gone ok
> since I do get the Xserver up, I can login through various display managers
> and run things like kde or twm. However, whichever configuration I use, the
> system crashes when I log out. Or to be precise, it becomes non-responsive.
> The keyboard and screen go dead, and I can only bring it back to life
> through a hard reboot, after which fsck reports that the file system had not
> been cleanly unmounted.

One possible issue is processes keeping the DRM open (Qt comes to mind
e.g.) long enough to prevent the next server generation from enabling
the DRI. If that's what happens (not too likely with twm I guess), it
would still be a bug, but it might present opportunities for (better)
workarounds.

> I would appreciate any help. Please CC me in the message, as I'm not
> subscribed to the list.

Nicos Gollan followed up to your post with some good suggestions,
unfortunately he neglected to do so, unless maybe he BCC'd you.