Re: apt wickened up: Unable to purge package gdm2 ! (solved)

Hello again.

I tracked the problem, and it  appears there wasn't anymore the file
/etc/X11/default-x-manager.
As a consequence the postinst-script reached a get_db call which seemed to
exit the script with an error.
It's the following passus.

Excerpt from /var/lib/info/dpkg/gdm2/postinst:

vvv

# debconf is not a registry, so we only fiddle with the default file if it
# does not exist
if [ ! -e $DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE ]; then
  db_get shared/default-x-display-manager
  if [ "$THIS_PACKAGE" != "$RET" ]; then
    echo "Please be sure to run \"dpkg --configure $RET\"."
  fi
>  # mi: This here here was reached:

    db_get "$RET"/daemon_name  # <-- mi:  This line exits the script

> # mi: The following line never was reached :

  echo "$RET" > $DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE
fi
# debconf hangs if gdm gets started below without this
db_stop

^^^

Didn't find any 'db_get' in /usr/share/debconf.
Perhaps I'm missing some library ?
I wondered if there's something with the 'GNU database manager'
- curiously, also a 'gdm' !
When i looked for another 'gdm'-lib in aptitude i found a 'gdbm'-lib
recursivley automatic-installed:
libgnomevfs-dev 22.0.4-3 -->
libgnutls5-dev  0.5.9-2 -->
( which conflicts the also installed libgnutls5-dev 0.5.9-2 ! )
libgdbmg1-dev

But here i give up. Don't understand the whole thing, i'm no programmer at
all.

--
mi.