Re: 384mb RAM installed but 57mb recognized at bootup..........huh ?

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, nate wrote:

> Courtney Thomas said:
> > Nate,
> >
> > Thank you for your interest.
> >
> > This motherboard is about 4 yrs old. I don't remember the brand but the
> > manual indicates that it is a M5SAB, if that helps. The RAM is Kingston
> > which I bought yesterday at Office Max.
> >
> > The documentation indicates pc100 but I assumed that since pc100 was
> > required then surely something faster would work, apparently incorrectly.
> >
> > The AMD CPU is 450mhz.
>
> yes that sounds like a memory density problem. One of the boards I
> mentions is powered by an AMD K6-3 400. Most of the boards back in that
> era needed 16 megabit memory.

According to crucial.com, this BIOSTAR M5SAB board should work with 32mbit
chips though.  As well, it specifically lists pc133 and pc100 parts, as
well as CL 2 and CL 3.

Three banks on the motherobard, supports up to 768 meg.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Biostar%2BBiostar+Motherboards&mfr=Biostar&cat=RAM&model=M5SAB&submit=Go

$ 43.99 for a 256 meg stick, 24.99 for 128.

I'm starting to wonder if this chip is just plain defective or installed
wrong.

Kingston's memory selector claims the same as Micron's, abeit with the
prices being slightly higher, and only pc100 listed.
Mike