Re: Fun sound problem

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 05:47:12PM -0800, Eric Nelson wrote:
> > Nice board, have you tried the alsa website for drivers?
>
> Erf.  I was hoping for the simplicity of using OSS.  My understanding
> is that ALSA is Not Trivial to use, requiring ALSA aware programs;
> from a usability, it seems like the pain to install of any third-party
> kernel features, with the inconvienence similar to esound or arts
> requiring ALSA aware programs.  I'll use it if I have to, but I
> consider it a last resort.

It's true that ALSA is poorly documented and Not Trivial to use.

But, it does *not* require ALSA-aware programs.  All standard OSS
sound applications that I've found work well with the ALSA drivers.
And, if you're running a standard Debian kernel-image, there is
probably a pre-compiled, matching alsa-modules package already
available.

If you build your own kernel from source, then you will need to
compile the drivers, too.  Not Trivial, but hardly rocket science.

Here's a good Debian ALSA HOWTO...

  http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=541

Good luck,
--