freeze-ups

Hi,

I recently installed Debian on my computer, but I have never used a Unix OS before. I installed version 3.0 rev 1 for i386. My computer is a Pentium II 400. Occasionally KDE totally freezes up on me, and frequently (a few times every day), certain applications, like text editors, will freeze when I click the Open button or Open on the File menu. When one text editor doesn't work, none of them will work. The Konqueror file manager also freezes up frequently. Also, a lot of time when I try to run an application, it will start loading, then just stop and disappear from the task bar, without giving me any kind of message.

It seems that none of the files in /var/log are modified when any of these problems occur.

I would greatly appreciate any help that anybody could give me.

Thanks,

Jeremy
jjw0820@hotmail.com