Re: Debin Help

Sam Rosenfeld wrote:

I have a related problem which I have sidestepped by using "xdm"
instead of "startx".   Although I have loaded Gnome, I rarely use it
explicitly (don't particularly like KDE -- in fact, the same goes for Gnome). But I would like to return to some form of "startx". On trying to initiate X by "startx" under root, the following error messages appear:

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
xinit: unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3) server error

Thanks for any help.

sam

As a general rule you don't want to run X as root. Does X start as a normal user? First thing I'd check is the "allowed_users=" line in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config. If that's not it, I'd suspect .Xauthority in /root's home dir.

Kent