Re: Debin Help

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 07:40:51PM -0500, jmullin wrote:
> I have been trying for a year to get a Debian distro set up on my
> computer.  At the NYC Linux World Expo, the was a Debian booth and I
> bought the lates Debian CD but when I tried to load it BANG no good.

Debian gives you control.  So you need to know how each software should
be configured.  A bit more work than RH but you know what you installed.

> No that the release was no good just it got a littel complicated.
> Igot as far a Debian loading to the prompt stage.  I just didn't know
> how to get the xwindows and GUi set up.

Use tasksel to set up.

 # dselect update
 # tasksel
  ... select X, GNOME, KDE, Game :-)

>  I have installed Red Hat and SuSE with no problem but I want to load
> and  use Debian but it just AIN'T happening, and I don't know where to
> turn.  I want to set my school up using Debian Linux but I am becoming
> increasingly frustrated, who can I turn to for help.  Thanks in advance.

First read install manual on CD.

Also, my document in testing (or on web) may be useful.

  http://qref.sf.net   Chapter 6, 8 are key here.

Cheers.
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract