Bash terminal beep - how to shut it up?

Hi,
   I'm running Debian 3.0r1 on my laptop. Whenever I'm working in a bash
terminal or the console certain actions cause the terminal to BEEP through
the PC Speaker. This is annoying the hell out of my missus when she's
trying to watch TV and I've just scrolled a man page too far! What is the
invocation to shut it up? Which of my .bash files should I put it in?

Come to think of it, how can I shut this up system-wide?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you are not an intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on +44 (0)1980 612100.  Please also destroy or delete the message from your computer.