Re: Tips for moving to XEmacs

Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> writes:

> I'd like to make a push to move to XEmacs as my main editor (from a
> Windows editor Program File Editor).  It's hard to move to a new editor
> with a large learning curve when there's work to be done.

Good plan!  I noted at least one reference to a .emacs file.  XE 21.4
uses ~/.xemacs/init.el  and will offer to migrate  an .emacs file on your
first startup.

> - I'm not a fan of syntax highlighting.  Maybe I should be.
> - I need to be able to find matching braces (find the start of end of the
> current block)

There is a menu item "Options"  you can set up these two very easily (and
other things too) from there.  Don't forget to click "Save options to
init file" if you want your changes to last ;-)

> - I'd like to have black on white text, and a smaller font in the buffers.

In ~/.Xdefaults

Emacs.default.attributeBackground: black
Emacs.default.attributeForeground: white

Emacs.default.attributeFont:-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-*-110-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
Emacs*menubar*font: -microsoft-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-100-*-*-p-*-microsoft-cp1251

! If you choose a font which does not have an italic version, you can specify
! some other font to use for it here:
Emacs.italic.attributeFont:  -*-courier-medium-o-*-*-*-110-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*

(or whichever font you wish - again this can be done via Options)

> Is is sacrilegious to want the cut/copy/paste keys to be mapped to the
> common C-c C-x and C-v keys?  I guess that would break a lot in emacs.

On the menubar click help -> samples -> init.el

This is a sample start up file  - lots of useful stuff including specimen
keybindings.  Easy to change in (X)Emacs

Good luck!

Glyn
--
Debian Home       http://www.debian.org