Tips for moving to XEmacs

Argh, how many times have I attempted this move!

I'd like to make a push to move to XEmacs as my main editor (from a
Windows editor Program File Editor).  It's hard to move to a new editor
with a large learning curve when there's work to be done.

I edit mostly C and Perl code.

I'm looking for tips to help in my change over.

To keep this somewhat on-topic (e.g. debian), I've installed

$ dpkg -l | grep emacs
ii  emacsen-common 1.4.15         Common facilities for all emacsen.
ii  xemacs21       21.4.6-8       Editor and kitchen sink
ii  xemacs21-bases 2002.03.29-1   Editor and kitchen sink -- compiled  elisp su
ii  xemacs21-bin   21.4.6-8       Editor and kitchen sink -- support binaries
ii  xemacs21-nomul 21.4.6-8       Editor and kitchen sink -- Non-mule binary
ii  xemacs21-suppo 21.4.6-8       Editor and kitchen sink -- architecture inde

is there anything else I should install for editing C and Perl?

There's lots of Emacs tutorials found by Google.  Any recommendations on
ones you might have found most useful?

The tips I need to help me start using Emacs are in basic configuration
(these are mostly common functions of my old editor that I can't live
without):

- I don't want long lines to wrap with the U-turn arrow at the end, I want
a scroll bar.

- I want tab to insert spaces instead of tabs, and each indent is to the
next 4 char column.

- I'm not a fan of syntax highlighting.  Maybe I should be.

- I need to be able to find matching braces (find the start of end of the
current block)

- I need to be able to indent and un-indent a block of text.

- Auto-indent/un-indent, of course, plus smart indenting when I open a new
brace.

- How do I get my button 4 and 5 to scroll (the mouse wheel works in other
programs)?

- I'd like to have black on white text, and a smaller font in the buffers.

Is is sacrilegious to want the cut/copy/paste keys to be mapped to the
common C-c C-x and C-v keys?  I guess that would break a lot in emacs.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org