Re: Slang for money [was: Re: Backup Consensus?]

This one time, at band camp, Charlie Reiman said:
> "#" has several names but most will be lost on non-techies. I'm not even
> sure why we call it the pound symbol since we Americans usually abbreviate
> pounds (the unit of weight) with the equally cryptic "lbs."

Comes from the latin libra, which means, I don't know, something to do
with weights or scales.  Like the symbol for the astrological sign.

> The many names of "#" that I know:
>
> The tic-tac-toe symbol
> The hash
> The pound
> The octothorpe (don't ask)
Just from the 8 points on it's exterior.  Oddly, spelled with and
without the trailing 'e'
> The comment character
>
> All of these names are terrible. I like hash because then the omnipresent
> "#!" becomes the hash-bang, or shebang for short.

Hear, hear.  Although I'm all for linguistic oddities that come from a
mixed up history of compromises and disparate influences, myself.  Kind
of like linux, really.
|  Stephen Gran                  | "I have five dollars for each of you."  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | -- Bernhard Goetz                       |