Re: Backup Consensus?

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 12:47:38AM +1100, bob parker wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:22, Pigeon wrote:
> >
> > Couple of suggestions:
> > - might be an idea to save /var as well
> > - if you're into kernel customising, make sure you have a rescue
> > kernel with built-in support for all your critical hardware (ie, not
> > as modules). I NEARLY got caught without a kernel that would recognise
> > my Initio 9100UW SCSI card, but managed to find one. (Phew!)
> >
> > Pigeon
>
> Thanks for the support. Re /var, I just did a du -h on it and mine comes out
> at 1.1 gig! Any thoughts on what is essential and what is not?

Well, I saved the whole thing precisely because I wasn't sure what is
essential and what is not... There's a lot of stuff there about
apt/dpkg configuration, most of which will be rebuilt when you
reinstall packages, but you might need some of it if your system has a
complex mix of packages from different sources/branches. All I
specifically needed were /var/spool/mail/pigeon and
/var/spool/exim/input/*.

Depending on how frequently you make backups, /var/log/* might have
useful stuff that might help you determine why you needed the backup.

My /var is only 63Mb; I guess I'm not the sort of user to commemt on
what might be essential when it's grown to 1.1 gig.

Still, 1.1 gig should compress down to less than 700Mb, so it'll all
go on one CD.

(Related thought: Must make statically-linked rescue versions of tar,
gzip, bzip2, fileutils...)

Pigeon