Re: Slang for money [was: Re: Backup Consensus?]

On 28 January 2003 at 16:13,
Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> misleading answer. Puzzles me a bit - I thought # was an American
> symbol anyway - does it just have two American names, one of which is
> better at crossing oceans? (Because "pound" is heavy, and sinks?)

I think the official name for it is 'the octothorpe'. Of course, the
ascii program says:

quail (fun)$ ./ascii '#'
ASCII 2/3 is decimal 035, hex 23, octal 043, bits 00100011: prints as `#'
Official name: Pound
Other names: Number, Sharp, Crunch, Mesh, Hex, Hash, Flash, Grid, Octothorpe

I think the two most common terms (at least in my neck of the woods) is
"pound" and "hash" (favoring pound, it's more fun to pound stuff than
hash it).

Stephen W. Juranich                         sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington            http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli