Re: "debian rookie" trying to get his bearings...

    "will" == will trillich <will@serensoft.com> writes:

    will> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:41:38PM -0800, Paul Johnson
    will> wrote:
    >> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:45:21AM -0600, Jeffrey L. Taylor
    >> wrote: > man update-rc.d
    >>
    >> No, wrong.  Just rename the file.  update-rc.d is used for
    >> script automation.

    will> it's not "wrong". in fact it's more likely to result in a
    will> stable situation down the line.

    will> it's more convoluted, something additional to learn, another
    will> syntax to remember... and more consistent. but it's
    will> definitely not "wrong".

It is certainly not "wrong," but I have to say that using update-rc.d
to configure your run level is like using a sledgehammer to crack open
an egg.

For a system administrator who wishes to start/shutdown a service in a
run level the 'mv' command is simple, straightforward and
consistent. Three properties that update-rc.d cannot claim (except in
a package installations script and so on).

Now, if the admin used 'rm' instead of 'mv' on the run level S* or K*
file they probably do need to read the update-rc.d man page if only to
confuse themselves to the point where they might try to understand
what is going on ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal