Re: Switching groups - not working

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 14:08, Ian Melnick wrote:
> I want certain users to be able to switch into different groups. So I
> did a usermod -g/-G on them and checked the group file to make sure it
> did it right (and it looks like it did). So then I try out the sg and
> newgrp commands. Problem is, these groups don't have passwords. In the
> group file, the password field is an 'x', and in the group shadow file
> it's a '*'. But when I just press return at the switch group password
> prompt, it doesn't accept it.

I had a similar issue when trying to debug a script that was trying to
perform a newgrp to the user's primary group.  It turned out the user
needed the group listed in his/her additional groups as well.

For example, do:
usermod -g foo -G foo,bar,baz example

rather than:
usermod -g foo -G bar,baz example