Re: Getting gcc to work

"Dave De Graff" <debian@platformglobal.com> writes:
> 1.  (*) text/plain          ( ) text/html

(Can you please configure your mailer to only send plain text?)

> I've installed gcc but can't find its executables. Seems like the
> last time I installed it on a fresh woody installation, it was all
> configured to run. Session output is below. Any ideas?

> root@host:# feta install gcc-3.2

gcc-3.2 provides a /usr/bin/gcc-3.2, etc.  There's also a gcc package
that depends on the default version of gcc for your distribution (2.95
for stable, 3.2 for unstable) and provides /usr/bin/gcc as a symlink
to that.  If you just have gcc-3.2, or if you want to use it in
preference to the default gcc, you can (frequently) set CC=gcc-3.2 in
your environment and well-behaved Makefiles will use it.

> (Reading database ... 8828 files and directories currently installed.)

That sounds like a fairly...young system.  You might check that you
have other essentials (particularly libc6-dev) installed.

	-- Abra Mitchell